Cheat Day Post!! :-)
Sometimes all you want to do is have a large piece of a moist chocolate cake with a cup tea, snuggle in the blanket and read your favorite book and just end the evening with a relaxed chocolatey smile. And why not! We all deserve to pamper ourselves sometimes and not feel guilty about it! And that is the whole point of having a cheat meal. Eat healthy and be disciplined in the week so that you can treat yourself and know that you deserve it!
I love to bake and try out new and exciting recipes! I don't think I have repeated my dessert recipes more than couple of times since I always am on the search for something new. Cakes, tarts, cookies, cobblers, pies, cheesecakes.. you name it and I have made it. So when I heard about a Zucchini Chocolate cake I was intrigued and I finally had a chance to make it a few weeks ago. And what's more I also decided to add a fruit to it as well. If you can sneak in some fruits and veggies to a cake and make it delicious knowing that you are getting loads of fiber, vitamins and minerals in it at the same time, it's a win-win situation! Everyone loved the moistness and the rich chocolate flavor of the cake and no one could guess the Green Fruit and Green Vegetable in it until I finally revealed it!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 pear pureed
- 3 zucchinis grated
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 m
Ready In: 1 h 5 m
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the eggs and oil, mix well. Fold in the nuts, orange zest and zucchini until they are evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.
- Coconut Frosting: Melt some semi- sweet chocolate chips with coconut oil. Pour on the cake.
- Chocolate Frosting: Melt some semi-sweet chocolate chips with milk on a double boiler. Add some sugar syrup to sweeten it as per your taste. Pour on the cake.
- Enjoy with your favorite book and hot cup of tea! (Or a cold glass of Vanilla Milk!)
So go ahead and try this healthier version of Chocolate Cake!! And let me know if you were able to sneak in some greens in your chocolate making you happy and everyone else too!
Eat Healthy, Live Happy!